Call for Applications to Participate in the 2021 AFAAS Hackathon
- Post by: ICT
- September 26, 2021
- Comments off
The Malawi Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (MaFAAS), through Mzuzu University ICT Department, is pleased to announce this year’s African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) Hackathon and is calling for passionate system developers (Individuals, firms, group of students etc.) in Malawi to express interest to participate in the 2021 Hackathon to be held at national and continental levels. AFAAS’ hackathon is a multidisciplinary event in which people meet to engage in collaborative digital solutions development for Agricultural Extension Advisory Services. For long term sustainability and to ensure wide participation of developers in improving ICT4Ag solutions, AFAAS is encouraging groups of IT specialists and coders to join efforts and develop open-source projects.
AFAAS promotes the digitalization of agricultural extension services and builds capacities of its stakeholders from 10 countries including Malawi. This year’s hackathon focuses on innovations in three (3) areas:
- Management of Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services actors and activities (AEAS) with beneficiaries
- Database/repository of Climate-Smart Agriculture approaches, techniques, and knowledge
- Weather Information Systems
- Crop Calendar
We have designed this hackathon in a multi-stage fashion being the first of its kind in Malawi. The stages are described below together with their respective requirements.
Stage One: Expression of Interest and submission of proposed innovation description
Submission of a one-page concept note indicating the following:
- Technology: including technical Simplicity (implementation, learnability, usability) thus simplicity of the solution for the end user. (40 Points)
- Social Impact: including impression on level of Social Impact the proposed solution will create, relevance to Stakeholders and Society, Degree of Inclusiveness/Degree of Limitations (30 Points)
- Project Sustainability & Scalability: including sustainability of solution based on its design, requirements to keep it running efficiently and maintenance. (30 Points)
- Portfolio: Existing work (if any), proof of computer programming prowess. (Added Advantage)
Stage Two: Live mini-hackathon and selection of Top 3 Innovation
To participate in a live hackathon, computer programming prowess is a MUST.
Stage Three: Participation in Continental hackathon for the winners
The hackathon is running in 2 steps:
* a national (MaFAAS) mini-hackathon: from August to 8 October 2021
* a continental hackathon: from October to mid-November 2021
- Students, individuals or teams, Startups are allowed to participate.
- Knowledge and skill in computer programming
Call or WhatsApp +265 995 164 604 for enquiries.
Deadline for submissions of Concept Note/Poster
The deadline for receiving applications is 1 October, 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Female applicants are encouraged.
The winners of MaFAAS hackathon will be given awards during MaFAAS farming and extension conference and will participate in the Continental hackathon of which winners will be announced during the Africa Agricultural Extension Week in November 2021.
For more details and registration about AFAAS Digitalization (D4AEAS) visit https://afaas-africa.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=560715238b650a525d0068fc0&id=fbe837ef6b&e=f27794220e