BSc in Data Science (Generic)
Data science is one of the emerging technologies under the 4th revolution, a blueprint of the next generation information and communication technologies (ICTs). The introduction of the Data Science Programme underscores MZUNI’s mission and vision, as well as MZUNI’s 2016-2020 Strategic Plan. Furthermore, this is in line with both national and international sustainable development strategies. The Sustainable Development Goals, the Malawi Growth and Development Strategy III 2017-2022 (MGDS III, 2017-2022) and the Malawi Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, among other documents, all cite ICT as a priority area, and Data science is principal to applied ICT
The Bachelor of Science (Data Science) programme aims at providing students with scientific knowledge, analytical and interpretational skills, values and attitudes required for them to competently apply data science concepts in solving real life problems in this big data era. The BSc Data Science programme will aim at achieving the following specific objectives:
- To develop professionals in Data Science (and related fields) addressing human capacity development.
- To train students in advanced skills and knowledge in Data Science, required by the government, parastatals and private sectors in Malawi and beyond.
- To develop necessary knowledge and skills in students enabling them to conduct meaningful research in Data Science
- To improve analytical, scientific and entrepreneurial skills in Data mining, data ware-housing, data visualisation and virtualisation.
- To enhance capacity for effective communication and dissemination of empirical
When you finish the course, you'll be equipped for a career in the data analytics industry. You could work for multinational companies, small and medium enterprises, and innovation centres. You can do the following jobs: Data Scientist, Process Analyst, Database Administrator, Data Solutions Analyst, Business Analyst, Statistical Analyst, Data Mining Engineer, Web & Social Media Analyst, CRM Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst, Data Architect, information analysts.
As a requirement towards partial fulfilment for the award of the degree, the students will complete a research project to demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills acquired throughout the tuition. In addition to the research project, the students will undergo an assessed industrial attachment. The attachment exposes the students to real work environment. Furthermore, all students will complete a mini project during the third and fourth year as a requirement. It is a four-year face-to-face multiple entry and multiple exit programme. The generic students enter the programme at Year 1 (Level 1).
Malawi School Certificate of Education or its equivalent obtained in not more than 2 sittings with at least six credits that should include English, Mathematics or Additional Mathematics and any two of the following subjects: Computer Studies, Physics/Physical Science, Biology, General Science, Agriculture.
- End User Computing
- Introduction to Programming in C
- Computer and Communication Technology
- Communication Skills I
- Communication Skills II
- Introduction to Data Science
- Python for Data Science
- Introduction To Statistical Analysis
- Introduction to Knowledge Engineering
- Non-Parametric Inference
- Computer Networks I
- Web Design
- Web Programming
- Linear Algebra
- Programming in R
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Discrete Mathematics
- Stochastic Modelling
- Research Methods in Data Science
- Algorithms and Data Structures with Java
- Machine Learning
- Modelling & Simulation
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Warehousing & Mining
- Applied Regression Analysis
- Data Visualisation & Virtualisation